[OS X TeX] To Professor Koch

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 6 04:29:50 EST 2007

Le 6 févr. 07 à 09:14, Jin-Hwan Cho a écrit :

>> QUESTION 1: Did you install using MacTeX, an install...
>
> I just installed CTAN:/systems/mac/mactex/MacTeX-20061110.dmg.

This is an old version, MacTeX has changed a lot since then. There
are now three versions, all available from <http://www.tug.org/~koch/
NewPackages.html>:

- One based on gwTeX, Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution. Given you
mention texmf.local in another message, I think this is the one you
have (except the one on the above page is more recent). Personally,
for installing gwTeX I prefer to use i-Installer, which allows more
customizations (should you choose Expert mode, in particular),
provides a graphical user interface for these customizations (choice
of formats to build, of hyphenation files to include, of map files to
take into account, and so forth), and offers additional i-Packages
such as TeX Gyre which installs the OpenType fonts of the same name
both in gwTeX and in /Library/Fonts so that they are available to all
OS X applications.

- One including the full version of TeX Live.

- One based on a subset of TeX Live, corresponding essentially to the
same subset as gwTeX.

Personally I have the first two installed on my Macs, TeXLive-2007
for experimentation and exhaustiveness, and gwTeX for reliability.

> Before MacTeX, I used the fink version because I could not compile
> DVIPDFMx with Gerben Wierda's i-Installer. But it was now possible
> with MacTeX so that I changed from the fink version to MacTeX.

Two things:

- Why compile dvipdfmx? As far as I know it's already included,
together with dvipdfm, from which it is derived, and xdvipdfmx, which
is derived from it for use by XeTeX.

- In case you had TeX installed from Fink, there may be configuration
files left which could perturb the working of recent versions of
MacTeX. For example, I think that the system-tetex Fink package used
to "hardwire" /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current in
$PATH; MacTeX does no longer work this way, it defines a symlink /usr/
texbin for the location of the binaries of the currently selected TeX
distribution, there is a new TeX Distribution configuration panel in
System Preferences and a new TeXDist structure installed in /Library/
TeX.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin