[OS X TeX] Tweaking Figure label

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 7 11:06:58 EST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 16:37, John B. Thoo wrote:

> Hi.  I'm sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this
> question.  You may direct me to the right forum.
>
> A journal wants the figure label in the caption to be in bold, but
> the reference to the figure in normal text.  I can accomplish the
> former by editing "article.cls"
>
>   change   \renewcommand \thefigure {\@arabic\c at figure}
>   to       \renewcommand \thefigure {\textbf{\@arabic\c at figure}}

I assume you put those renewcommand commands in the preamble of your
own document, rather than editing article.cls. Please leave
article.cls untouched! Changing that will only cause headaches.

>   change   \newcommand\figurename{Figure}
>   to       \newcommand\figurename{\textbf{Figure}}
>
> But then, when I use \ref, the figure number in the text is in bold
> also.  How do I get out of this dilemma?

Changing a different command?

A bit below the \thefigure command renewal is the command that
actually typesets the beginning of the caption:

\def\fnum at figure{\figurename\nobreakspace\thefigure}

Now, put in your document preamble:

\makeatletter
\renewcommand{\fnum at figure}{\textbf{\figurename\nobreakspace\thefigure}}
\makeatother

And possibly similar for tables.

Maarten