[OS X TeX] hyphenation in longtable

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Feb 10 05:39:24 EST 2007

Am 10.02.2007 um 11:03 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

>> How have xou done any breaks first?
>
> By wri-
> ting with
> many RET [...]

Sorry, I forgot to mention all the final \\ and that it happend for
me always in the right most column ...

In any other column the & character finishes this column's contents
on that line clearly, so it is even easier in these cases. Using
proportional (text) fonts it might take some iteration loops to
determine the optimal look and balance.

Thinking a bit further, it might give a good look (for my regular
use) using something like

	\begin{longtable}{rl>{\RaggedRight}p{125mm}}

In this case the last column will have a good width, some hyphenation
will happen, and the text will look more "natural" ragged (IMO). And
this could also be applied for the other columns.

Using longtable often requires a second LaTeX run! The columns' width
dimensions on each page are stored in an AUX file. In the second run
the optimum widths are computed from these values. (The longtable
packages mentions in LaTeX's output that another run is needed.)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Das Militär ist eine Pflanze, die mensch sorgfältig pflegen muss,
damit sie keine Früchte trägt.
                                                  Jacques Tati