[OS X TeX] hyphenation in longtable

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Sun Feb 11 11:09:18 EST 2007

Hi,

Le 07-02-10 à 20:00, "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> a écrit :

> The LaTeX Companion declares it a TeX problem: there is no really
> good measure to decide whether the space is used well enough or could
> use another word particle. So hyphenation looks poor again. The
> ragged2e package is meant to improve this. It could become effective
> by using \RaggedRight – I haven't tested it.

This actually produced the best looking result yet for my table. Thanks.

>> I sometimes need to add a bit more space between the bottom of a
>> row of cells and the top of next one. I use \\[8pt] and all is well.
>>
>> Except when the next line starts with \multicolumn.
>>
>> In that case, there is no extra spacing at all. Is it normal or did
>> I do something weird somewhere in my longtable?
>>

> You can use invisible rulers or raise an object and gain extra space:
>
> 	\rule[-5mm]{0mm}{12.5mm}...
> 	\multicolumn{3}{|c|}{\rule[-5mm]{0mm}{12.5mm}...}
>
> You can also use horizontal rulers: rule[5mm]{25mm}{0mm}...
>

> I don't think longtable has some extra command for this trivial task.

Actually, since I also loaded booktabs, I discovered I can use
addlinespace{} to get what I want. But thank you for your different
solution. I'm still puzzled that \\[Xpt] works on other parts of the
longtable, but not before a line starting with a multicolumn. I saw
no mention of this in the manual for longtable.

Denis