[OS X TeX] section* and header content

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Sun Feb 11 12:06:59 EST 2007

Le 07-02-10 à 20:00, "Enrico Gregorio" <gregorio at sci.univr.it> a écrit :

>> In a report where I needed both a French and English abstract, I
>> decided not to use the abstract facility of the article class.
>> Instead, I made 2 sections,
>>
>> \section*{Résumé}
>> \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}Résumé}
>>
>> abstract in French
>>
>> \newpage
>> \begin{otherlanguage*}{english}
>> \section*{Abstract}
>> \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}Abstract}
>>
>> abstract in English.
>>
>> All is almost well...
>>
>> I use the package fancyhdr with default settings. On both abstract
>> pages, the header reads "LIST OF FIGURES", not quite what I hoped
>> for.
>>
>> In Guide to Latex it is said that the * form results in no number
>> (perfect here) and no entry in TOC (I want one, so I asked for it and
>> I got one). It does not say that no "\leftmark" is created.
>
> \cleardoublepage % we should start on a right hand page
> \section*{Résumé}
> \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}Résumé}
> \markboth{Résumé}{Résumé}
>
> \clearpage % this can go on the verso page; are we sure?
> \section*{Abstract}
> \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{\numberline{}Abstract}
> \markboth{Abstract}{Abstract}
> \begin{otherlanguage*}{english}
>
> Probably, however, I would not have headings on the first page of the
> abstract, so a \thispagestyle{plain} should be issued. Moreover I
> would
> list the abstracts at the same level of chapters, without the
> \numberline{} (but these are personal preferences).
>
> And if the abstract is short, the two can go on the same page.
>
> Ciao
> Enrico

This worked, many thanks. But considering your comments I had a
serious look at the headers of all the material with roman numbered
pages, many of them were only one page long (list of tables, the 2
abstracts) and it was a bit weird to have the header stating Résumé
and then the first thing on the page was again Résumé. So I set all
those pages with \pagestyle{plain} and I think it is nicer.

I left my abstracts unnumbered in the TOC, however, as Introduction
had to start as section 1. In fact, the list of tables and list of
figures entries are also not numbered in TOC and it is acceptable to me.

Denis