[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX, fontspec and Latin Modern fonts: It doesn't seem to work

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Feb 17 07:08:41 EST 2007

On 17 Feb 2007, at 11:40 am, Franck Pastor wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am doing my first steps with XeTeX-XeLaTeX (coming from the
> latter TeXLive 2007, installed with MacTeX), with this document
> (saved in UT8-Unicode encoding of course) typesetted with TeXShop
> 2.10beta8:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}% to use the Latin Modern fonts by default

Yes, this will default to LM in place of CM. But the method it uses
to load the LM fonts (specifying them directly by .otf filenames) is
not supported by the xdv2pdf driver, hence the error message:

> ## xdv2pdf: use of uninstalled fonts (specified by filename) such as
> ##   [/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
> lmroman10-regular.otf]
> ## is not supported; try using the xdvipdfmx driver instead.

To use xdvipdfmx in place of xdv2pdf, you need an alternate TeXShop
engine in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines. If you have a sufficiently
recent TeXShop, you might have a folder ~/Library/TeXShop/Extras
containing "XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine", and you can simply move it to
Engines and restart TeXShop. Then choose the appropriate engine from
the toolbar pop-up or using a "%!TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdvipdfmx"
line in your document.

If you don't have this engine file in ~/Library/TeXShop/Extras (I'm
not sure exactly when Dick planned to add this, but it's very
recent), you can make it yourself. Just duplicate the existing
"XeLaTeX.engine" file, and rename it as "XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine".
Then edit it and add the option

   -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E"

to the xelatex command line, before the "$1" that represents the
input file.

HTH,   JK