[OS X TeX] TexShop Configuration

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Tue Feb 20 10:57:42 EST 2007

Hi Herb,

On 20-Feb-07, at 20 Feb,8:09 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2007, at 8:15 AM, S P Suresh wrote:
>
> Howdy,
>
> I haven't experienced this problem... but then I don't use beamer
> (well, I just tried to use the pdflatexmk engine on a sample beamer
> document and, indeed, it does seem to go into a loop) and, while
> having to do many runs (I think it did 6 runs to completely resolve
> all cross references) on a simple document using the endonote
> package it eventually did complete.
>
> I'm not sure what kinds of magic beamer does to cause the looping
> but I'd suggest getting in touch with John Collins, who maintains
> latexmk, at <http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/
> >, to report the problem.

Got back online just now. Thanks for the reply. I will try to report
this to John Collins. I guess I didn't wait long enough for the
document with end notes to typeset. Will try it out again.

(Before the completion of the mail, I got to try it out on a subset
of that same document. It stops after six runs but gives the
following message(s) before quitting:

Transcript written on tark07.log.
Latexmk: Input bbl file "./tark07.bbl", so turn on bibtex_mode
Latexmk: Failed to find one or more bibliography files in [ref.bib]
Latexmk: Failed to find one or more bib files
Latexmk: File "./tark07.aux" has not changed, so it is valid
Latexmk: File './tark07.ent' changed during run.  I must rerun latex
Latexmk: Absolute maximum runs of latex reached without finding
stable source files

I don't understand the messages about the bib files. It is always
output at the end. Even when all the bib files are present and it
correctly typesets. But what about the last message?)

While I am at it, here is another thing that happened with the same
paper. In the early stages, when I hadn't inserted the citations,
latexmk would quit with the following message:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.6)
The top-level auxiliary file: tark07.aux
The style file: alpha.bst
I found no \citation commands---while reading file tark07.aux
Database file #1: ref.bib
(There was 1 error message)
Latexmk: Did not finish processing file: Bibtex reported an error
Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing.

I thought BibTeX wouldn't even be called in such cases! This means
that I cannot just add
	%!TEX_PROGRAM = pdflatexmk
to my documents by default. Have you seen similar behaviour / do you
have any suggestions?

BTW, just in case you think I am all complaints, let me hasten to add
that latexmk and your engines are a great convenience. I downloaded
them the first time I saw your mail about it (four / five months ago,
maybe) and they have been (mostly!) just working great.

> There is another system, rubber, that looks interesting --- it
> appears more extensible than latexmk --- and is a bit more like
> make in many ways, but I haven't taken the time to figure it out
> and then to see how I can integrate it, via engines, with TeXShop.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Thanks for the info. I will check out on that as well. Till you set
to work on it, I can use it on the command line (and so can my
colleagues who are on Linux).

S P Suresh
Chennai Mathematical Institute
India