[OS X TeX] TexShop Configuration

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Tue Feb 20 12:26:08 EST 2007


Thanks for the prompt reply. I edited the xelatexmk.engine and  
pdflatexmk.engine files by adding a -f, and now there is no problem  
when I typeset a document which doesn't (yet!) have a \cite. (Is it  
okay to always use the -f option?) About the other error regarding  
the bib files, sorry to have given you the wrong impression. The  
tests that I reported in the previous mail were carried out on the  
command line. There is a different (positive) message when I use  
pdflatexmk in TeXShop. I  have the latest version of your engines  
(the ones that come with the latest TeXLive-2007 MacTeX package), and  
I saw the relevant piece of code in pdflatexmk.engine:
    export BIBINPUTS=${BIBINPUTS}:`kpsewhich --show-path=bib`

Thanks for all the help, again. So apart from latexmk looping when it  
meets beamer, and the number of runs with endnotes, there are no  
issues as of now.

BTW, I downloaded and installed rubber. Thanks for leading me there!  
I also noticed that the developer of rubber works in a lab with whom  
we have some ties. Maybe I will run into him one of these days. That  
would be a nice coincidence!


S P Suresh
Chennai Mathematical Institute

On 20-Feb-07, at 20 Feb,10:11 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2007, at 9:57 AM, S P Suresh wrote:
>> Hi Herb,
>> ...
>> (Before the completion of the mail, I got to try it out on a  
>> subset of that same document. It stops after six runs but gives  
>> the following message(s) before quitting:
>> Transcript written on tark07.log.
>> Latexmk: Input bbl file "./tark07.bbl", so turn on bibtex_mode
>> Latexmk: Failed to find one or more bibliography files in [ref.bib]
>> Latexmk: Failed to find one or more bib files
>> Latexmk: File "./tark07.aux" has not changed, so it is valid
>> Latexmk: File './tark07.ent' changed during run.  I must rerun latex
>> Latexmk: Absolute maximum runs of latex reached without finding  
>> stable source files
>> I don't understand the messages about the bib files. It is always  
>> output at the end. Even when all the bib files are present and it  
>> correctly typesets. But what about the last message?)
> Howdy,
> Hmmm... I'm also seeing the equivalent of the last two lines in my  
> test file; didn't notice that before---the final results look ok  
> here. The .ent file is something created by the endnote package so  
> I'm not sure why it is driving latexmk crazy. Another bug to report  
> to John Collins.
> As far as the bibliography problem is concerned, would you copy the  
> contents of the (pdf)latexmk.engine file you are using here.  
> Latexmk tries to use BIBINPUTS to find bib files before bibtex,  
> which uses kpsewhich,  does. With most TeX distribution on OS X the  
> BIBINPUTS shell variable isn't set so you can get an error message  
> from latexmk. I ``fixed'' this in later versions of the engine  
> files by basically setting the BIBINPUTS variable to the path along  
> which kpsewhich searches. This is only a temporary fix and latexmk  
> should really be using kpsewhich to search for the bib file; John  
> Collins knows about this already. I just want to make sure the  
> error message from latexmk is not just the spurious one.
>> While I am at it, here is another thing that happened with the  
>> same paper. In the early stages, when I hadn't inserted the  
>> citations, latexmk would quit with the following message:
>> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.6)
>> The top-level auxiliary file: tark07.aux
>> The style file: alpha.bst
>> I found no \citation commands---while reading file tark07.aux
>> Database file #1: ref.bib
>> (There was 1 error message)
>> Latexmk: Did not finish processing file: Bibtex reported an error
>> Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing.
> This looks like bibtex is reporting an error when it find no  
> citations in the .aux file. Latexmk gets this error and quits. You  
> should be able to force latexmk to ignore the error by editing the  
> (xe/pdf)latexmk.engine file and adding the -f option to the command  
> line given there.
>> I thought BibTeX wouldn't even be called in such cases! This means  
>> that I cannot just add
>> 	%!TEX_PROGRAM = pdflatexmk
>> to my documents by default. Have you seen similar behaviour / do  
>> you have any suggestions?
> I'll be you get the same error message from bibtex when you process  
> on the command line. The difference is that you ignored it :-).
>> BTW, just in case you think I am all complaints, let me hasten to  
>> add that latexmk and your engines are a great convenience. I  
>> downloaded them the first time I saw your mail about it (four /  
>> five months ago, maybe) and they have been (mostly!) just working  
>> great.
> If you are still using those ``old'' engines I'd suggest you update  
> to the latest which gets rid of the silly error message about  
> latexmk not finding a bib file (unless it's in the working directory).
> Good Luck,
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)
> ------------------------- Helpful Info -------------------------
> Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
> List Reminders & Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

------------------------- Helpful Info -------------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
List Reminders & Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/

More information about the MacOSX-TeX mailing list