[OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Wed Feb 21 09:07:35 EST 2007

Le 20 févr. 07 à 22:11, Richard Koch a écrit :

> If you install using MacTeX, you also need to reconfigure GUI
> applications. This time
> the path to binaries is /usr/texbin. Actually this is a symbolic
> link; the binaries
> are still installed where the TeXLive install script puts them.
>
> For those who have not been following this discussion, let me
> explain the data
> structure briefly. After you install TeXLive-2007 with MacTeX, you
> will find that your
> old teTeX-based installation from Gerben remains intact; if you
> installed his more
> recent gwTeX, that also remains intact. You'll find that you have a
> new
> control panel named TeX Distributions listing all of your TeX
> distributions. For
> instance, Gerben's old distribution is listed as "gwTeX-2003-2005",
> his new
> distribution is "gwTeX" and TeXLive is "TeXLive-2007". The active
> distribution will
> be selected in the control panel's list. If you make a different
> distribution active in the control panel,
> then automatically all of your GUI applications will be
> reconfigured (because the /usr/texbin
> link will be reset), and your PATH and MAN variables will change
> appropriately.
> So it is easy to return to an old distribution if there are
> surprises in the new one.
> (I argued bitterly against this data structure until I saw the
> light. Now I think it is
> fantastic.)

thank you for all these explanations but I need a precision. I've an
old gwtex distribution
  and the experimental based on texlive 2006
the TeX's control panel give the choice between gw 2003-2005 and gw
( texlive 2006)

/usr/texbin is used in Texshop

But it is possible to erase the old distribution because the number
of files is too
  big and it's difficult to know who makes what ?

in /usr/local/ i have a gwtex folder and a tetex folder

examples :
$ locate epstopdf
/usr/local/gwTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0/epstopdf
/usr/local/gwTeX/man/man1/epstopdf.1
/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/doc/latex/oberdiek/epstopdf.pdf
/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/doc/man/man1/epstopdf.1
/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/scripts/tetex/epstopdf.pl
/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/oberdiek/epstopdf.sty
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0/epstopdf
/usr/local/teTeX/man/man1/epstopdf.1
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/help/Catalogue/entries/
epstopdf.html
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/oberdiek/epstopdf.sty

and there is an epstopdf in texshop ( i think that it's very strange )

How to to install TeXlive 2007 in my situation ?
because i don't  want a third distribution

Thanks and greetings

the last message is very important for us (the little users)

Alain Matthes