[OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 18:11:27 EST 2007

Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 11:44 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> Yes, I was not precise here, too: you'll be able to use TeXShop 2!
>>> It is based on some new PDF framework (PDFKit) that enables nice
>>> things with hyperref
>>

>> I got burnt with hyperref so I don't care about that.
>

> That may be, but the new TeXShop also offers much nicer syncing
> between the source and the preview. On the 600+ page book we are
> writing, this has proven to be invaluable.

>>> More advantages: synching based on searching strings in PDF
>>

>> That is good. Does the synching also go from source to pdf? Just
>> curious as I am quite happy with synching from pdf to source since it
>> works with included files.
>

> Yes, it goes both ways.

I am at about 800 pages of "pieces" that can be configured variously so,
yes, synching is invaluable.

>>> Disadvantages: seems to be more buggy ...
>>

>> That is I thought I would wait some more.
>

> It has been my experience that it is equally buggy -- no more, no
> less. :-)

Yes, occasionally, 1.43 does funny things, but it has never done
anything Â… memorable, like losing a day's worth of modifications and
changes on some 300 pages which I had failed to back up as I went. (MS
Word did that to me but as a result I backup religiously.)

>> Does this really mean that, with TeXShop 1.43 I can first upgrade to
>> Tiger and then, a while after that, upgrade to TeXShop 2? (My
>> somewhat frailed nerves may not take two upgrades at once.) Really,
>> my main worry is how much I will have to modify the magnum opus (over
>> 20,000 files including .aux etc and graphic files but still a lot of
>> .tex files.)
>

> You should be able to move to the new TeXShop with no changes to your
> source files (except maybe the %!TEX root commands at the top of
> source files).

And what would the change be? (Got a lot of those.) I recall some
discussion about this but not that it had come to a conclusion.

Best regards
--schremmer