[OS X TeX] MacTeX (here,there,and everywhere)

Alex Hamann Alexander.Hamann at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Feb 22 05:15:29 EST 2007

Am 21.02.2007 um 23:11 schrieb Salvatore Enrico Indiogine:

> Dear Gerben WIerda:
>
> On 21/02/07, Gerben Wierda <Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl> wrote:
>> No. gwTeX is based on TeX Live 2007 (and will follow possible updates
>> to the TL repository). TL2006 was renamed to TL2007 and there is no
>> TL2006. I should change the info.
>>
>> There is no more teTeX based material in gwTeX.
>>
>> gwTeX 2003-2005 = your choice of:
>>         TeX Live 2003 for binaries + teTeX 2 for the texmf tree +
>> extras
>> (for backward compatbility with older projects)
>>         TeX Live 2004 for binaries + teTeX 3 for the texmf tree +
>> extras
>>         TeX Live 2005 for binaries + teTeX 3 for the texmf tree +
>> extras
>>         [ All these install in /usr/local/teTeX and all of this is
>> no longer
>> maintained or supported ]
>> gwTeX = subset of TeX Live (2007) + a few small additions (in the
>> texmf.gwtex tree)
>>         [ This installs in /usr/local/gwTeX and is still
>> maintained but not
>> supported ]
>
> Please tell me what the 'best' or at least most updated, installation
> of LaTeX for TexShop on OSX 10.4 intel should be.  Where can we obtain
> it?
>
> I am an OSX and LaTeX newbie.
>
> Thanks,
> Enrico

Enrico,
generally you could think of all the distribution this way:
gwTeX is very stable and still very up2date. It is a modified version
of TeXLive2007
MacTeX offers you a distribution which is closer to the original
TeXLive2007. If you follow the list posts you will find that some
people (and it's rather expert people) still tend to call gwTeX the
more reliable distribution. Not that MacTeX based on TeXLive2007 was
unreliable but until very recently there was no final TeXLive2007
release.
However, both options are viable and virtually without any clear
disadvantages.
If I was you I would use i-Installer with gwTeX.
Read these pages
http://ii2.sourceforge.net/ 								(information on i-Installer)
http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/installing.html  	(here you
learn the order in which you should install the i-Installer packages)
http://ii2.sourceforge.net/tex-index.html 					(a short introduction
to tex on mac)
and you' ll know how to set up the installation. Do not get
distracted by Gerben telling you that gwTeX is unsupported software.
You' ll find help - either here on the list or on the web.
Also, if you are a beginner I would not encourage you to install more
than one distribution on your system. Not that this would be hard to
manage but you probably want to start to learn the basics first - so
I can not see any reason why you would need two or more distributions
on your system for that.
Good luck,

A.

> --
> Enrico Indiogine
>
> Mathematics Education
> Texas A&M University
> hindiogine at gmail.com

please avoid sending me word attachements; see
for details and background