[OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 22 12:29:15 EST 2007

Le 22 févr. 07 à 17:12, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :

> 1. Before installing mactex.tar.gz, should I uninstall some of what
> I already have (MacTeX_Additions, TeXLive-2007). If yes, which parts?

No, these will be updated during install.

> Perhaps, I can keep at least Font Utilities, Ghostscript, and
> ImageMagick. Right? What about i-Installer: Is there something
> specific, because mactex.tar.gz would, perhaps, attempt to install it?

No, updated versions will be installed if necessary, but that's all
there is to it. In my experience MacTeX is really a one-click
install, the only problem being the size of the download.

One thing you may have to do is, in case you installed additional
elements in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local, to run mktexlsr and (in
case you installed additional fonts) updmap manually from the command-
line. i-Installer does this for gwTeX, but MacTeX doesn't.

> 2. I did the Full mode of gwTeX install. But I am tempted (very
> much indeed) to try he expert mode, if you would give some
> guidelines. (Some time ago, I dared that with the deprecated-now
> teTeX. I'm not sure if I grasped what I did, but whatever, teTeX
> worked greatly.)

Unless you have a specific need to do this (e.g. select font
inclusion in all cases, customize the list of formats to build and/or
of hyphenation files to include, add map files, activate per-user
configuration, etc.), it's not really useful.

> And, as in (1), should I first uninstall the current gwTeX
> installation? I have the latest version, installed via i-Installer?
> (If yes, this should be easy with i-Installer.)

No. Gerben takes great care thinking of all possible scenarii and
including provision for all of them in his scripts. Sometimes he
forgets something, but he has beta testers to catch the omissions ;-)

Bruno