[OS X TeX] Using Ghostview and/or another PostScript Viewer

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 23 17:49:58 EST 2007

Although there was no response to this list yesterday to my problem.
I did receive a private message from the developer of MacGhostView,
Thomas Kiffe, which might be useful to others:

	"Your message prompted me to finally release MacGhostView 4.3.2. It
	should solve the problem you were having with eps files.

	There is an option under Preferences - Keys which allows the user
	to set the origin to the lower left corner, like Postscript, and
	the coordinates of the lower left corner match the bounding box
	coordinates."

I have downloaded the new release and it works exactly as advertised.
It is for PPC but works on the Intel Mac. I didn't want to use X11
anyway.  I will pay for the shareware($20) as soon as I finish this
email. By the way, if you haven't seen the new package pinlabel put
out by Colin Rourke of Mathematical Sciences Publishers, take a look
at the TeX Catalogue Online:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/pinlabel.html

Once again this list proves to be the place to post a problem if one
wants a considered answer. Tom Rike

On Feb 22, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Thomas Rike wrote:

> I am trying to use \pinlabel in LaTeX to label eps figures I
> created in Intaglio. I used i-installer to install ghostview 3.5.8
> (gv) in /usr/local/bin and ghostscript 8.54 (gs) is already in /usr/
> local/bin.

-snip-

>  I then tried a piece of shareware called MacGhostView 4.3.1 by
> Thomas Kiffe which displays foo.eps very nicely, but ignores the
> coordinate convention embedded in the graphic and uses (0,0) for
> the upper left corner and (m,n) for m pts to the right and n pts
> down from the (0,0). This information is useless in \pinlabel. Has
> anyone used this software and found a way to make the coordinates
> correspond to the what the eps file says in the header, for
> example,  BoundingBox: 72 501 482 647, where (72,501) is the lower
> left corner and (482,647) is the upper left corner?

Thomas Rike
Oakland High School Mathematics Department(Ret.)
1023 MacArthur Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94610
Phone: 510-879-3040 (ext 216)
FAX: 510-879-3049