[OS X TeX] MacTeX - a few questions

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Sat Feb 24 05:04:26 EST 2007

Dear list,

first of all: Congratulations for the MacTeX-release to all who
deserve credit (quite a few, I guess) - it is really impressive. All
looks very much how it should on a mac. It feels as if one could tell
a newbie to download the two dmg's (MacTeX.dmg and MacTeXextras.dmg),
use them and ready you are with a software setup that is very much up
to date, including GUIs.

Wonderful. My impression is that the dust has almost settled and that
the situation for TeX on OS X is really very good now, as it used to be.

A few questions nevertheless:

**** I found out that the folder Applications/TeX is not owned by
myself but by the system. The account I am using is an administrator
account, but still I am not allowed to modify the content of
Applications/TeX. Is this how it should be? If yes - why?

**** I also saw that during the install, I had older versions of
BibDesk and TeXShop in Applications/TeX, but later on, they
disappeared. This means that the installer checks which System I am
using.

**** I used to install gwtex in expert mode. There where many
decisions I had to take. Am I correct that mactex installs everything
with the idea of "you get everything" and if if I feel the need for
example for full font-inclusion, I run the configure stage via
iinstaller that is still used to take care of my installation in the
background? But where a the i-packages for mactex/texlive2007?

Maybe it is an misunderstanding and it is not possible to configure
mactex as I was used to with gwtex? Is this then one of the reasons
to use gwtex instead of mactex/texlive?

I hope these questions are of interest to others as well.

Daniel