bgtex-v3 Re: [OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Feb 24 06:12:15 EST 2007

Hi Roussanka,

I'm sorry but I can't possibly devote more time to this issue.

Two quick remarks:

Le 23 févr. 07 à 22:03, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :

> It was me who took off most of the permissions for g and o inside
> of my home directory, "by hand" with the command chmod: This seems
> to me reasonable (and, wasn't it standardly recommendable?) except
> for the public subdirectory and some of the service files. But it
> could be that I changed too much to off accesses by using chmod go-
> rwx * (or sometimes under-doing...).

That is a very dangerous thing to do. I imagine you had specific
reasons for doing that. But not knowing exactly which pieces of
installed software would ever need to access these directories and
how, I would never attempt such modifications myself! By removing the
x flag for directories, you prevent them to be browsed by group and
others.

> Here is what I have for ~/.texlive2007:
>
> roussankas-computer:~ rosi$ ls -l .texlive2007/
> drwxr-xr-t   3 rosi  rosi  102 Jan 17 22:57 texmf-var
> roussankas-computer:~ rosi$ ls -l .texlive2007/texmf-var/
>
> and what of a reveal:
>
> drwxr-xr-t   5 rosi  rosi  170 Feb  7 03:21 fonts
> roussankas-computer:~ rosi$ ls -l .texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts/
> drwxr-xr-t   3 rosi  rosi  102 Feb  7 03:21 pk
> drwxr-xr-t   4 rosi  rosi  136 Feb  7 03:21 source
> drwxr-xr-t   6 rosi  rosi  204 Feb  7 03:21 tfm
>
> And then, a guess, and then, what of a reveal: exactly what you
> explained!
>
> roussankas-computer:~ rosi$ find .texlive2007/ -name "*grmn*" -print
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cb/grmn0500.600pk
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cb/grmn0600.600pk
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cb/grmn0700.600pk
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cb/grmn0800.600pk
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cb/grmn1200.600pk
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/source/public/cb/grmn0500.mf
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/source/public/cb/grmn0600.mf
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/source/public/cb/grmn0700.mf
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/source/public/cb/grmn0800.mf
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/source/public/cb/grmn1200.mf
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/tfm/public/cb/grmn0500.tfm
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/tfm/public/cb/grmn0600.tfm
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/tfm/public/cb/grmn0700.tfm
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/tfm/public/cb/grmn0800.tfm
> .texlive2007//texmf-var/fonts/tfm/public/cb/grmn1200.tfm
>
> Now, how to get this resolved with gwTeX and the bgtex-v3? I guess
> something similar to TeXLive-2007.

I have no idea what is happening. A possibility is the per-user vs.
system-wide gwTeX install problem that is still with us at times,
unfortunately. It is triggered when utilities having two variants, a
normal one and a -sys one, are used improperly in combination with
sudo with or without the -H and "-u root" flags. A symptom would that
you have in ~/Library/texmf/ any of the files:

~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
~/Library/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.log
~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.fmt

If so, erase them and run the Configure stage of the TeX i-Package in
Expert mode, taking care to select in particular the very last step
and prohibit per-user setups.

Another possibility is that you fussed with texmf.cnf. If so, God
help you! Seriously, texmf.cnf is the place where (among many other
things) directories used for automatic font generation are defined.

In /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf you find:

> % TEXMFVAR, where texconfig stores variable runtime data.
> % With teTeX-3.0 or later, this must be set.
> % For sharing this tree with $TEXMFMAIN:
> %   TEXMFVAR = $TEXMFMAIN
> % For using a separate tree:
> %   TEXMFVAR = $HOME/.texmf-var  # teTeX 3.0 default
> TEXMFVAR = $HOME/.texlive2007/texmf-var
>
> [...]
>
> % Where generated fonts may be written.  This tree is used when the
> sources
> % were found in a system tree and either that tree wasn't writable,
> or the
> % varfonts feature was enabled in MT_FEATURES in mktex.cnf.
> VARTEXFONTS = $TEXMFVAR/fonts
>
> % Where to look for ls-R files.  There need not be an ls-R in the
> % directories in this path, but if there is one, Kpathsea will use it.
> %
> % By default, this is only the !! elements of TEXMF, so that mktexlsr
> % does not create ls-R files in the non-!! elements -- because if an
> % ls-R is present, it will be used, and the disk will not be searched.
> % This is arguably a bug in kpathsea, but we will not think about
> it now.
> %
> TEXMFDBS = {!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!
> $TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST}
>
> % It may be convenient to define TEXMF like this:
> %   TEXMF = {$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,$HOME}
> % which allows users to set up entire texmf trees, and tells TeX to
> % look in places like ~/tex and ~/bibtex.  If you do this, define
> TEXMFDBS
> % like this:
> %   TEXMFDBS = $TEXMFHOME;$TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN;$VARTEXFONTS
> % or mktexlsr will generate an ls-R file for $HOME when called,
> which is
> % rarely desirable.  If you do this you'll want to define SYSTEXMF
> like
> % this:
> %   SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN;$TEXMFDIST
> % so that fonts from a user's tree won't escape into the global trees.
> %
> % On some systems, there will be a system tree which contains all
> the font
> % files that may be created as well as the formats.  For example
> %   TEXMFVAR = /var/lib/texmf
> % is used on many Linux systems.  In this case, set VARTEXFONTS
> like this
> % VARTEXFONTS = $TEXMFVAR/fonts
> % and do not mention it in TEXMFDBS (but _do_ mention TEXMFVAR).
> %
> % Remove $VARTEXFONTS from TEXMFDBS if the VARTEXFONTS directory is
> below
> % one of the TEXMF directories (avoids overlapping ls-R files).

Similarly /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf contains:

> % Where generated fonts may be written.  This tree is used when the
> sources
> % were found in a system tree and either that tree wasn't writable,
> or the
> % varfonts feature was enabled in MT_FEATURES in mktex.cnf.
> VARTEXFONTS = /var/tmp/texfonts
>
> % Where to look for ls-R files.  There need not be an ls-R in the
> % directories in this path, but if there is one, Kpathsea will use it.
> %
> % Remove $VARTEXFONTS from TEXMFDBS if the VARTEXFONTS directory is
> below
> % one of the TEXMF directories (avoids overlapping ls-R files).
> TEXMFDBS = $TEXMF;$VARTEXFONTS
>
> % It may be convenient to define TEXMF like this:
> %   TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,$HOME}
> % which allows users to set up entire texmf trees, and tells TeX to
> % look in places like ~/tex and ~/bibtex.  If you do this, define
> TEXMFDBS
> % like this:
> %   TEXMFDBS = $HOMETEXMF;$TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN;$VARTEXFONTS
> % or mktexlsr will generate an ls-R file for $HOME when called,
> which is
> % rarely desirable.  If you do this you'll want to define SYSTEXMF
> like
> % this:
> %   SYSTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL;$TEXMFMAIN;$TEXMFDIST
> % so that fonts from a user's tree won't escape into the global trees.
> %
> % On some systems, there will be a system tree which contains all
> the font
> % files that may be created as well as the formats.  For example
> %   VARTEXMF = /var/lib/texmf
> % is used on many Linux systems.  In this case, set VARTEXFONTS
> like this
> %   VARTEXFONTS = $VARTEXMF/fonts
> % and do not mention it in TEXMFDBS (but _do_ mention VARTEXMF).

Obviously the settings for TeX Live 2007 are taken into account in
your case, but not those for gwTeX. It may be that you have a
customized texmf.cnf elsewhere, or some redefinitions in a ~/.bashrc
or similar hidden config file, or even in a ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist. These cases are very difficult to debug, and far
beyond my competence. And why would this affect only gwTeX?

What you can try is using "kpsewhich --var-value-VARTEXFONTS" to get
the value of VARTEXFONTS.

For example, using texdist as Gerben suggested in a message yesterday
night:

Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ texdist --texdist=gwTeX "kpsewhich --
var-value=VARTEXFONTS"
/var/tmp/texfonts
Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ texdist --texdist=TeXLive-2007
"kpsewhich --var-value=VARTEXFONTS"
/Users/brunovoisin/.texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts

I imagine on your setup the first command would yield something
different.

Bruno