[OS X TeX] (non)floats (was: special font for tables in document)

Martin Wilhelm Leidig listwatch at onlinehome.de
Sun Feb 25 08:29:28 EST 2007

Hi, Gert,

Am 2007-02-25 um 09.59 schrieb Gert van Oss:
> I would really (finally) like to know how best to place my tables
> and figures correctly.

In the process of writing the document just leave them somewhere in
the text, out of the way of your editing.  Later, when finalizing the
text, they should be placed on the page they're first mentioned or
shortly after that; perhaps not so shortly if they're referred to
more often.  The package flafter may help here.

There are other things to be thought of; e.g., sometimes one has a
few coloured pages in a otherwise black-and-white publication.
Sometimes the publisher wants all figures and tables at the end of
the respective chapter or something (publishers are prone to request
pretty weird things at times ;-).

> Could you provide a hint telling me where I can find a 'package
> providing nonfloats'

Just go to CTAN, the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network <http://
www.ctan.org/>.  There is a couple auf packages providing facilities
for that; e.g. nonfloat (sic! ;-) --> <http://www.ctan.org/tex-
archive/help/Catalogue/entries/nonfloat.html>.  The main problem may
be to typeset a caption outside of a float environment; please see
also the packages caption, captdef, capt-of and others for that.

To look for more see e.g. The TeX Catalogue OnLine; there's a topical
index at <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/
bytopic.html> (see section Floats <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/
help/Catalogue/bytopic.html#floats>!) and there's a capable search
dialogue there: <http://tug.ctan.org/find.html>.

> and how best to use this package?

All those packages bring their own documentation, often with examples.

Btw, the TeX-D-L mailing list or one of the TeX news groups, e.g.
comp.text.tex, might be a better place to discuss such non-mac-
specific (La)TeX problems.  There's also a chance to meet packages'
authors there.

> Thanks for any reply,

You're welcome.

Btw, could you please correct your quoting?  TOFU is evil --> <http://
www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html>, subsections 2.3--2.5.
Thanks!

... with greetings from Ladenburg:

-MWL-
--
Martin Wilhelm Leidig, Nadlerstr.6, D-68526 Ladenburg, Germany
Professional TeXing, TeXnical counselling, and TeX hacking