[OS X TeX] confusing updmap messages

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Sun Feb 25 09:43:25 EST 2007

I installed mactex and enabled my mathpro fonts. Everything works but
updmap gives a warning that confused me:

!!! WARNING: Identical copy of used file for `mtpro2.map'
     exists in obsolete location
       /usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
     Please, consider removing this file.

Indeed, I have two copies of mtpro2.map:

       /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
       /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

I installed both of them because I thought I had to (I replicated the
structure of all directories I got from PCTeX). My confusion is that
updmap thinks  that texmf-local/ is a subdirectory of 2007/.  I
assume this is a typo and that the duplicate that needs to be removed is

       /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

Then, at the end of the updmap run I get:
!!! NOTICE:

     With this release, the search paths for map files have been changed
     and we have found that some files exist in the new path as well as
     in the obsolete path
     For more information about the changed search paths, see
     the release notes section in the teTeX manual. You probably
     can read this document by executing the command
       texdoc TETEXDOC

The reference to tetex was puzzling...

Incidentally, running updmap on gwtex does not produce any of these
warnings even though I have two copies of mtpro2.map in gwtex as well.

Themis