[OS X TeX] Installing packages not available as iInstaller-Packages

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 27 10:55:00 EST 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Maik Stührenberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm quite new to the Mac and especially to LaTeX on OSX -- although
> I'm
> using LaTeX on Windows (MikTeX) for years.
> Working on a larger project that was made on a Windows PC I use the
> following packages, among others:
>
> \usepackage{bigfoot}
> \usepackage{attrib}
> \usepackage{listings}
> \usepackage[ngerman]{varioref}
> \usepackage{xspace}
>
> When I try to compile my master file, at least the bigfoot package and
> the attrib package (as part of the frankenstein package) are missing
> (Error: File 'bigfoot.sty' not found/File 'attrib.sty' not found).
>
> I've installed yesterday the packages MacTeX_Additions and gwTeX and
> everything else works fine (as far as I can see).
>
> I know that the missing packages can be found on CTAN (I've already
> downloaded them) but my question is where do I install (copy) the
> respective files on my MacBook?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Maik Stührenberg

Howdy,

1)You might have to generate the .sty and associated files from
an .ins file. To do this simply open the .ins file with TeXShop and
run pdflatex on it. No .pdf will be generated but the processing
should stop and you can then quit TeXShop. The .sty file and other
files should the be in the folder with the .ins file.

2)The simplest thing to do is to place the folder with the .sty and
associated files in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/ (where ~ is your HOME
directory). You could get fancier and put the documentation in a
folder in ~/Library/texmf/doc/latex/. Oh... create the directory
structure if it doesn't already exist.

TeX should be able to find the sty files automatically in those
directories without running texhash, etc.

That's it for .sty and associated files. If you are trying to install
fonts the process is a bit more complex.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)