overfull boxes; was: Re: [OS X TeX] Suggestion for TeXShop

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Tue Feb 27 11:12:43 EST 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Christian Burk wrote:

> Am 27.02.2007 um 15:27 schrieb Roussanka Loukanova:
>
>> I also think that such improvement would be very good. Overfull hboxes and
>> vboxes occur not only in math environments, but also inside
>> \includegraphics[width="some_width"\textwidth]{...}, which I find very
>> difficult and time consuming to fix.[...]
>
> I included a lot of my images with \textwidth and got some Overfull hboxes.
> How do you treat this kind of warning?

I got some of them fixed by (I do not know if there are better ways)

\includegraphics[width=0.6\textwidth]{Picture.jpg}

[width=0.6\textwidth] reduces the size of the image.

In what follows, I'll describe the most difficult "overfull boxes" for me
and how I've been dealing with them. Typically, I meet several types
of "overfull boxes" problems within beamer environments:

1. Reducing the size of a graphics (picture) reduces readability on
handouts and presentation. But that is not a big issue on the screen
because of the possibility to scale up the picture.

2. The real problem for me are graphics inside column environment. I do
not know yet how to calculate the optimal relationship between the size
of the included picture, i.e. (as in the example below), between
the number in \includegraphics[height=7cm]{...} and the size of the column
\begin{column}[T]{.65\textwidth}.

So, I am just experimenting with different numbers, and often am leaving
the boxes overfull in the name of readability of the picture on the
printed handouts and lessening the need of using scaling up during
lecture presentation.

  \begin{columns}
   \begin{column}[T]{.65\textwidth}
     \includegraphics[height=7cm]{Picture-1.jpg}
   \end{column}
   \begin{column}[T]{.4\textwidth}
     \vspace{20ex}
     \scalebox{0.65}
     {Some text...} \\
     \scalebox{0.65}
     {More text...}
   \end{column}
\end{columns}

3. In a beamer presentation, I have a sequence of \only<5>{...}, ...
\only<7>{...}, i.e., multiple *alternative* overlays, which take the space
of each other on successive pages. They show finely on the presentation,
but not on its handout version where, all alternatively overlaid parts
get stacked on a single page, i.e. in an overfull vbox, which stretches
down out of the page. I had such a case, which (for now) I resolved by
force:

I've put the overlay blocks inside {\tiny ...}. I dislike such a
forceful solution, esp. because in a next round of lecturing on this
topic, I will certainly update it, and would easily forget
about this {\tiny ...} extra in the handout version: The only difference
between handout and presentation modes should be the two lines:

\documentclass[handout]{beamer}
%\documentclass{beamer}

If someone knows a better solution, I would appreciate it very much.

Roussanka