multiple overlays and a handout (was: overfull boxes; was: Re: [OS X TeX] Suggestion for TeXShop)

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Wed Feb 28 05:28:18 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Luis Sequeira wrote:

>> 3. In a beamer presentation, I have a sequence of \only<5>{...}, ...
>> \only<7>{...}, i.e., multiple *alternative* overlays, which take the space
>> of each other on successive pages. They show finely on the presentation,
>> but not on its handout version where, all alternatively overlaid parts
>> get stacked on a single page, i.e. in an overfull vbox, which stretches
>> down out of the page. I had such a case, which (for now) I resolved by
>> force:
>>
>> I've put the overlay blocks inside {\tiny ...}. I dislike such a
>> forceful solution, esp. because in a next round of lecturing on this
>> topic, I will certainly update it, and would easily forget
>> about this {\tiny ...} extra in the handout version: The only difference
>> between handout and presentation modes should be the two lines:
>>
>> \documentclass[handout]{beamer}
>> %\documentclass{beamer}
>>
>> If someone knows a better solution, I would appreciate it very much.
>>
>> Roussanka
>>

> I don't use beamer, but I use powerdot for the same thing (and use the same
> trick of having two alternative \documentclass lines).
>
> I think a better solution is to use some form of conditional compilation - so
> that you decide, in advance, how the material should appear onscreen and on
> the handout; and don't have to do any further
> changes later.
>
> For powerdot, I use something like
>
> \pdifsetup{present}{<stuff for screen>}{<stuff for handout>}
>
> where
>    <stuff for screen> may, for example, use several
> \onslide*{n}{\includegraphics{file-n}} to display several steps of a
> construction;
> and <stuff for handout> may just display the final, or arrange them in a
> tabular environment, say - or whatever.
>
> You could do the same, either using some beamer primitive (if there is one)
> or by using the package ifthen and defining and adequate boolean.

Thanks: you are reminding me that (once upon a time) I read something like
this in the beamer manual. I did try something similar for the
article/beamer switch. When I find out and try it, I'll post it (if
someone else doesn't get to it earlier, because unfortunately am short of
time in the upcoming days...)

Roussanka