[OS X TeX] Recap: xdvi, pdflatex and dvipdfm problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jan 2 15:52:34 EST 2007

Le 2 janv. 07 à 15:42, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> That's because pdflatex in fact doesn't understand eps graphics.
> Convert the eps to pdf and then remove the .eps extension from the
> included file all will be fine.

You may also try to invoke the package epstopdf for on-the-fly
conversion. See /Library/TeX/Documentation/texmf-texlive-doc/latex/
oberdiek/epstopdf.pdf.

In that case it's necessary that pdflatex is invoked with the flag --
shell-escape.

Regarding the OP's problems with dvipfm and xdvi:

- It seems xdvi wants to create PK versions of the Courier font, and
fails. I don't know how that can be avoided. For dvips there's the
setting dvipsPreferOutline, activated by running "sudo -H updmap-sys
--setoption dvipsPreferOutline true". But for xdvi? Have you tried to
run it with option +not1lib? Could it be affected by the presence in
psfonts.map, normally for dvips, of lines such as:

pcrr8r NimbusMonL-Regu "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<ucrr8a.pfb

- Regarding dvipdfm: does the log means it cannot perform on-the-fly
decompression of ./images/media.eps.Z? According to section 14 of /
Library/TeX/Documentation/texmf-texlive-doc/dvipdfm/dvipdfm.pdf, for
this to work a C-style command must be passed to dvipdfm using its -D
option.

Bruno Voisin