[OS X TeX] BibDesk and completion of text: Possible to switch it off?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Jan 3 21:28:34 EST 2007

On Jan 3, 2007, at 02:13, Helge Stanjek wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I use BibDesk on several Macs,  which are in some cases not the
> newest ones.
> I usually like the autocompletion of BibDesk, when I enter keywords
> or the name of a journal. It keeps things more homogeneous. But ...
>
> My problem: When large bibliography files (e.g., 7500 citations,
> 3.2MB) are edited, I manage to enter a full line of text, but
> without seeing it, because BibDesk tries to match the entries with
> its stored authors, keywords, and so on. I have to wait, however,
> until BibDesk has finished its comparison of all entered words,
> before I can go to the next text field.

What versions of the OS and BibDesk are you using, and what hardware?
Do you see a beachball?  I haven't looked at the completion code in a
while, but I'm a bit surprised that you can keep typing without seeing
anything.  Does the completion window show up at all while you are
typing?

> Especially for titles of articles, etc., it does not make sense IMHO
> to have this feature of autocompletion.

The main reason we enable it for titles is for easy completion of e.g.
Part I, II, III of a series.  If you can send me the file (off-list),
I can profile the autocompletion code and see if we can speed it up; I
don't have any files that cause problems like this.

> Is it possible to switch this feature off?

No.

-- Adam