[OS X TeX] Re: Indexing with Diacritics

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Thu Jan 4 06:54:19 EST 2007

> Until now, the most convenient way I have found to make an index in
> French with é, è, ç, à, ù, ï characters is to revert to Mac OS 9
> (Classic) and to use the old Makeindex application (which had the
> ability of dealing with diacritics ten years ago...). (I still have a
> PPC computer.)
>
> Unfortunately, when TeXShop/LaTeX creates a .idx file, it replaces,
> on its own initiative, é è ç à ù ï with \'e \`e \c c \`a \ù and \IeC
> {\"\i } (!).
>
> So, before being able to compile the index, I have to restore the
> original accented characters and to change the Unix file into a Mac
> OS 9 readable file. (There is nothing to do for the way back.) I
> would like to automate the processs. So,
>
> - does anybody knows a mean to prevent TeXShop/LATeX from changing
> the accented characters into TeX macros ? or a small utility which
> undoes LATeX's work and restores the accented characters ?
>
> - does anybody knows a small utility which transform a Unix-Mac OSX
> file into a Mac OS 9 one ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> André Bellaïche

Why don't you just give makeindex a little help in correctly indexing
these entries?

If you use something like  \index{Ca@Ça} instead of just \index{Ça},
the regular version of makeindex will work correctly,
and you won't have to get in all this trouble of going to Mac OS 9.

It no longer matters if the diacritical marks are replaced by TeX
codes or not.

Luis Sequeira