[OS X TeX] Re: Save date-time, not Print date

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 7 11:36:32 EST 2007

On 7-jan-2007, at 17:17, George Gratzer wrote:

> But why use TeX for version control? I assume all of you back up. I
> backup many times a day with Retrospect. It requires one click, and
> it happens in the background. If I want to know the source or the
> pdf file of my project on December 5, I get it with very little
> work, I just have to pick from the 4 or 5 backups of the day.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes (I hope so).

I don't use TeX for version control. I use a package that reads the
string put into the file by the version control software (the
$Id: .... $ string you must have seen before). The version control is
done by cvs, completely outside of TeX. The side effect is that the
date string within the file is updated, and available for LaTeX.

Version control is something different from frequent backups, as it
also helps to synchronise different computers, and does more than
simple backups can (branching, although I didn't use that).

Maarten