[OS X TeX] Re: Save date-time, not Print date

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Sun Jan 7 14:50:29 EST 2007

On 2007 Jan 7, at 11:29 AM, Victor Ivrii indited:
> On 1/7/07, Douglas Philips wrote:
>> How is it that \date is integral to beautiful typesetting and
>> \modificationTimeOfThisFile isn't?
> Because it is not very relevant: 1) touch foo.tex would update
> timestamp of foo.tex

Correct, but also not relevant.

> 2) cp foo.tex moo.tex would create moo.tex with the current timestamp.

and cp -p wouldn't. What are your aliases? This is tangential.

> Note that TeX is about typesetting. The fact that our beautiful
> TeXShop is editor and front-end for TeX is somehow a very nice feature
> but it is not TeX. TeX is about typesetting, not about editing.

Well, that may be so, but I jumped into this conversation because the
"current time/date" is not "the date of the file being typeset". And
most of the time I don't use TeXShop, I use vi and the command line.

--Doug