[OS X TeX] Problems with permissions using i-Installer

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Jan 8 05:05:03 EST 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:07 , Martin Buchmann wrote:

> Gerben,
>
> Gerben Wierda said the following on 05.01.2007 16:22 Uhr:
>
>> This could be a problem with you OS X installation. Try repairing
>> privileges of your startup disk.
>
> Hmm, I did this without seeing any differences. AFAIK the
> privileges of
> my user directory /Users/Martin are not changed if I repair the
> permissions of my hard disk.

No, but there are many places where permission trouble in your system
directories can influence the workings of Mac OS X. Authorization and
authentication are notoriously sensitive in my experience (and i-
Installer relies on those). It is often not clear what causes this,
but a repair privileges is often a good first attempt at a fix. Alas,
for you that does not work.

> I remembered that I had a similiar problem with the ghostscript
> package.
> After installation I could use gs because of the following error:
>
> GPL Ghostscript 8.54: Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps.
>
> I checked the permissions of the file gs_init.ps in
> /usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.54/lib/
>
>> metallw08:/usr/local/share Martin$ ll
>> total 1688
>> drwxr-xr-x   21 root    wheel      714  8 Jan 09:23 ./
>> drwxr-xr-x   20 root    wheel      680  2 Jan 16:17 ../
>> drwxr-x---    4 root    wheel      136  8 Jan 09:23 ghostscript/
>> metallw08:/usr/local/share Martin$ sudo ls -al ghostscript/8.54/
>> lib/gs_init.ps
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  72899 26 Sep 00:23 ghostscript/8.54/
>> lib/gs_init.ps
>
> Maybe that's due to the same error than the trouble with gwTeX. I just
> don't know which directories and permissions are important for
> i-Installer during installation, etc.
>
> I my i-Packages directory I find the packages with the following
> permissions.
>
>> metallw08:~/Documents/i-Packages Martin$ ll
>> total 32
>> drwxr-xr-x   24 Martin  Martin    816  8 Jan 09:21 ./
>> drwx------   33 Martin  Martin   1122 19 Dez 10:42 ../
>> drwxr-x---   13 Martin  Martin    442  8 Jan 09:22 ghostscript-8.ii2/

Definitely something is wrong. i-Installer uses Cocoa calls to create
this directory and it should have permissions drwx-r-xr-x

So somehow your system is configured such (or broken in such a way)
that either Cocoa apps or system calls are affected.

> Maybe someone has an idea where to change what to get rid of this
> behavior.

Do you have a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist? If so, what is in there?