[OS X TeX] Creating a glossar

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 16 14:19:08 EST 2007

Christian Burk wrote:
[]
> Thant's what I did - reading the manual of the glossary.sty, but
> unforunately I could not discover how this could work.

Here is what works for me:

In the main tex file Foo.tex, there is an abbreviation

\newcommand{\UGE}[2]{\useGlosentry{#1}{\Mg#2}}

where \Mg is a self-defined color command that makes (during draft
stage) those symbols stick out that have a glossary entry.

Then, in the text, there are things like

Let \UGE{SlambdaovK}{$\overline{S}^\lambda_m(K)$} be the subspace of...

The name SlambdaovK is arbitrarily chosen, and it corresponds to an
entry in the file gloglo.tex:

\storeglosentry{SlambdaovK}{
         name=\ensuremath{\overline{S}^\lambda_m(K)},
         description=Space of homogeneous functions of degree $\lambda$
on the cone $K$,
         sort=T003}

The sort key corresponds to an organization of the glossary in sections.

In the main Foo.tex, there are the lines (not consecutively, some at the
beginning, some at the end)

\usepackage[header,toc,border=none,cols=3,number=page]{glossary}[2006/07/20]
\renewcommand{\glossaryname}{Index of Notations}
\newcommand{\glossarysubheader}{ & & \\}
\renewcommand{\gloskip}{\\[-1.0ex]}
\makeglossary
\input gloglo.tex
\printglossary

Finally, after several latex runs, the script makeglos.pl is run as
"makeglos.pl Foo", and another latex run produces the glossary.

I don't remember where I found the script makeglos.pl. Its header says

#!/usr/bin/perl

# File    : makeglos
# Author  : Nicola Talbot
# Version : 1.5 (2006/07/20)
# Intended for use with "glossary.sty" (saves having to remember
# all the various switches)

--
Martin