[OS X TeX] Where to put local additions to texmf?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jan 17 03:33:00 EST 2007

On 17 janv. 07, at 08:53, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> texmf.pkgs is not overwritten when the gwTeX i-Package is
> reinstalled. This is how a reinstall will pick up an already
> installed ConTeXt updater for instance. Some i-Packages wil install
> in texmf.pkgs and these try to take care not to remove anything
> which is not their own, but if you add stuff to directories inside
> what has been installed by an i-Package in texmf.pkgs, there is no
> certainty that it will survive.

Thus, in practice, this tells that, with a gwTeX install, local
additions by the system administrator should go to /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.pkgs, while /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local is reserved for files
maintained by the various configure scripts, right?

And that, in a TeXLive install, local additions by the system
administrator should go to /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local, while /usr/
local/texlive/2007/texmf-var (say) is reserved for files maintained
by the various configure scripts, right?

Sorry to be so dense. I'm asking this in relation to my instructions
for Lucida and MathTime installation, posted yesterday: if the above
is correct, then the instructions must be modified accordingly.

Burno