[OS X TeX] CM Super, Latin Modern

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 18 15:10:04 EST 2007

On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:49 PM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> But with
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> Hello
> \end{document}
>
> the log says
>
> </usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>
>
> The font used is not the original computer modern font, but the
> Postscript Type 1  version of it designed by Bluesky/Textures and
> given by them to the AMS.
>
> A question : when you use a Type 1 font, TeX do a big lot of work
> to transform it into a pk font, this is registered in the log. But
> nothing appear when you use Type 1 CM. Is it because the work has
> already been done and the output is kept somewhere in the TeX tree ?
>
> André Bellaïche

Howdy,

My experience with CMSuper (it is the type 1 version of the EC fonts
--- extended CM to include prebuilt accented characters, etc.,
provided by T1 encoding) is that the first time the font is used the
tfm file for that font must be built from the EC source. If you
continue to use CMSuper that tfm file is used so it no longer will be
built. On my system (permissions? normal?) they tfm files were built
in a temporary location that was occasionally cleaned out; I copied
them to texmf.local/fonts/tfm/cmsuper/ (creating this directory).
This is with the teTeX version of gwTeX; strangely, I haven't had
time to update to the latest gwTeX or Tex Live 2007 [haven't decided
which yet] because I need my stable system and all my added fonts
right now.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)