[OS X TeX] LaTeX with TextMate

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sun Jan 21 19:51:12 EST 2007

On Jan 21, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2007, at 15:58, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> On Jan 21, 2007, at 5:41 PM, Michael S. Hanson wrote:
>>> 	2. How do I get the window that pops up when compiling (like the
>>> "Console" in TeXShop) to reappear so that I can actually read the
>>> warnings that go whizzing by?
>>>
>> In the Help inside the LaTeX bundle, look at section "3.4 Preview
>> Options".
>
> And you access that Help via the action menu at the bottom of
> TextMate's window, in the LaTeX submenu, right?  I occasionally
> forget about that when searching the application's Help.

Yes, or via the menus on top under Bundles -> LaTeX -> Help (those
are the same menus).
Or, while in a LaTeX file, you can type shift-cmd-T, and then type
"help" and select the appropriate option. (Help -LaTex).

>>> 	3. Autocompletion does not appear to work for me.  If I type in
>>> some characters (say, the start of a common LaTeX command) and
>>> press [Escape], all I get it a "beep" and nothing else.
>>
>> Which command was that? TextMate knows about a bunch of commands,
>> for instance typing "\f" and then pressing escape over here cycles
>> among \flat, \forall and \frac. But perhaps we have missed some
>> commands.
>>
>> Also, in general it is better to generate commands via the "cmd+}"
>> combo (that's "cmd+shift+]" in US keyboards). For instance typing
>> "sub" and pressing the cmd+} combo creates a subsection. You can
>> set all these shortcuts up via the "Edit Configuration File" command.
>
> I just tried this (type "sub", hit cmd-shift-], in a newly created
> document via the default LaTeX template.  I get
>
> /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/Latex.tmbundle/
> Support/lib/config_helper.rb:18:in /bin/bash: expand_path: couldnt:
> command not found~/Library/Preferences/
> com.macromates.textmate.latex_config.plist' (ArgumentError)
>     from /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/
> Latex.tmbundle/Support/lib/config_helper.rb:18:in /bin/bash: -c:
> line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
> /bin/bash: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of fileload'
>     from /tmp/temp_textmate.uH8iTJ:3

Hm, this is really weird, it seems to have problems with the
following ruby line:
File.expand_path('~/Library/Preferences/
com.macromates.textmate.latex_config.plist')
Try to copy and paste this line into a new document, and type ctrl-
shift-E. This line should be executed in Ruby and give you a path as
output, in my case it says:
/Users/haris/Library/Preferences/
com.macromates.textmate.latex_config.plist
Do you by any chance have any local modifications under ~/Library/
Application Support/TextMate?

What about the cmd-shift-{ one (that's the one creating
environments)? Type any shortcut, it should work. In fact, it should
work even without a shortcut. Let's see if we get the same error.
(Perhaps we can take it off-list from that point on)

> thanks,
> Adam

Haris