[OS X TeX] pdf in Safari et al

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 22 04:54:39 EST 2007

Am 22.01.2007 um 01:20 schrieb Adam R. Maxwell:

>> There are means that explain to all programmes which application
>> should handle which kind of file. In Tiger, Mac OS X 10.4, the
>> Launch Service handles this area (UTI: Universal Type Identifier).
>> The RCDefaultApp Preference Pane for the System Preferences allows
>> to change some things – 'though newly installed or updated
>> applications can change these settings upon their installation.
>> And there are many such "helpful" applications ...
>
> In general, applications shouldn't set this except at user request;
> what applications are you aware of that set this upon
> installation?  It may appear that a newly installed application
> does this, but I suspect it's often because the user hasn't
> explicitly specified a binding, and the most recently installed
> application appears to take precedence.

I think it's rather your explanation than mine that describes Tiger's
behaviour right: suddenly a 'free' file type is bound to an
application. I am not sure whether an application really actively
usurps a binding.

Examples I remember and can see: Platypus (Bourne and tcsh shell
scripts), Smultron (csh scripts), TextMate (reclaims all .diff
or .patch or .orig or .utf8 files), SubEthaEdit (reclaims
all .awk, .sgml, .enc, .conf, .rc files) – GNU Emacs is the proper
choice!

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others.
                                         - Groucho Marx