[OS X TeX] Re: Newbie is confused by Getting Started document

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Mon Jan 22 17:09:12 EST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Bob Harris wrote:

> I do appreciate the help, the info, and the advice.  Very much so.  I
> may still try TeXShop some time later this week, but for the time
> being I have to typeset the first homework assignment.

Bob, switching to new software on the verge of a deadline is very
stressful. But if you relax, it would not take you much time to download
the new packages, and will save you a lot of time from latexing on the
command line (of course, we continue to love our command line). Just
separate 30-40 minutes before starting typesetting the homework and
download what Gary recommended:

MacTeX_Additions.dmg
and:
TeXLive-2007.dmg (full...)
http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html

TeXShop is very friendly and helpful editor for
typing -> typsetting -> viewing.

Should you not get satisfied, you would have lost only 30-40 min, not more,
from the time that you have for your assignment.

Later, after you get done with your homework, download and try also gwTeX,
especially, if you would need to prepare a presentation, try the beamer
package. You will get familiar with it by its beameruserguide.pdf in the
beamer download. But there is a very useful and very brief intro to it (see
the section LaTeX in the classroom):

http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/teaching_staff/Smith/LaTeX