[OS X TeX] TeXLive-2007: "/usr/bin/pdflatex does not exist!" Now what?!

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jan 23 08:16:49 EST 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 12:37 pm, Martin Henning wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 23, 2007, at 3:22 AM, Greg Starr wrote:
>
>> After spending several days tearing my hair out with the various
>> LaTeX distributions, upon Richard Koch's advice I just installed
>> TeXLive-2007.dmg and MacTeX_Additions.dmg from TUG.
>>
>> The first thing I see is: "Can't find required tool" ... /usr/
>> texbin/pdflatex does not exist!!

I think there may be an installation "gotcha" here.

I just watched a colleague install TeX from the TeXLiveMTS-2007 and
MacTeX_Additions packages. Now, the NewPackages.html page says that
"a typical user should install MacTeX_Additions, and then one or more
of [distributions]". What my colleague did, though, was to install
TeXLiveMTS *first*, and then Additions. Not quite following the
suggestion to the letter, but seems reasonable.

However, the end result was that /usr/local/texlive contained a
directory "texmf-local", with subdirectories, but *NO* main "2007"
directory!

Reinstalling TeXLiveMTS-2007 *after* the Additions fixed this, but it
was initially quite puzzling that no *TeX tools seemed to be available.

What I suspect is that the Additions package *erases* the /usr/local/
texlive directory, at least in some circumstances, and will therefore
wipe out any TL distribution that was installed earlier. Dick, can
you check/confirm this?

JK