[OS X TeX] Creating custom formats (was: TL-2007 missing .sty files)

Josep M. Font jmfont at inicia.es
Thu Jan 25 04:05:46 EST 2007

I suppose it is better to start a new thread with this topic.

El 25/01/2007, a las 1:35, Gary L. Gray escribió:
> Oops. I am really sorry. I should be more careful and not post in
> such a hurry. Here are instructions that actually work (and this is
> what I actually do):
>
> (1) Create a file (I will call it FormatName.tex) that has your
> desired preamble along with \dump at the end. For example:
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{many_packages}
> \input{many_inputs}
> \dump
>
> Put this .tex in a directory somewhere. Say it is at:
>
> /Users/gray/Documents/formats
>
> (2) Open the Terminal and cd to that directory. Once there, type:
>
> pdflatex -ini
>
> When you get the ** prompt, type the following
>
> &pdflatex FormatName
>
> and press return. The format file called FormatName.fmt will be
> created. Then you should move that format to:
>
> /Users/gray/Library/texmf/web2c
[snip]
> I hope this helps more than the last drivel I posted. :-)

OK, at least this produced a .fmt file for me. But when I try to
typeset a file with TeXShop with your previous instructions:

> then you can typeset a document with this format (with TeXShop) by
> putting:
>
> %!TEX TS-program = books
>
> at the top of the file you are typesetting.

(of course, commenting out all the previous preamble)

it stops at \begin{document}, the first uncommented line of the file,
complains that \normasize is not defined, and says there must be
something wrong witht the base class file. Besides, I see no
indications in the log window that the .fmt file has been used, but
it must be so since it does not complain that \documentclass is
missing, or that it is undefined as well...

??

JMaF