[OS X TeX] Emacs 22.92, %! and TeXShop

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Sat Jan 27 00:48:54 EST 2007

In the interest of keeping this discussion sane, I will suggest the
following link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_format#Magic_number

The use of "magic numbers" to identify files does have a long
history, and emacs is certainly a great text editor with a long
history. TeXShop should not be expected to use the same "magic
number" paradigm that some developer contributed to the emacs code at
some distant point in the past. I use both programs for editing latex
documents, because they both have their strengths, and I suppose the
original submitter has similar feelings.