[OS X TeX] Creating a glossar

Christian Burk maillists at gmx.de
Sat Jan 27 13:52:59 EST 2007

Am 27.01.2007 um 17:22 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 27.01.2007 um 16:18 schrieb Christian Burk:
>
>> TeXShops runs four times but the console says for the part of
>> bibtex: "I couldn't open file name `glossar.gls.aux'"
>
> The man page says:
>
>        BibTeX reads the top-level auxiliary (.aux) file that was
> output during
>        the running of latex(1) or tex(1) and  creates  a
> bibliography  (.bbl)
>        file  that will be incorporated into the document on
> subsequent runs of
>        LaTeX or TeX.  The auxname on the command line must  be
> given  without
>        the .aux extension.  If you don't give the auxname, the
> program prompts
>        you for it.
>
>        BibTeX looks up, in bibliographic database (.bib)  files
> specified  by
>        the  \bibliography  command,  the  entries  specified  by
> the \cite and
>        \nocite commands in the LaTeX or  TeX  source  file.   It
> formats  the
>        information  from those entries according to instructions in
> a bibliog-
>        raphy style (.bst) file (specified by the
> \bibliographystyle  command,
>        and it outputs the results to the .bbl file.
>
> I am no BibTeX user, I don't have a clue. My understanding is that
> the GLS file is an additional and independent file that could be
> used with other LaTeX documents, too. Therefore it can have a name
> that does not change from project to project. I took my suggestion
> from
>
>> LaTeX > BibDeskGlossar > LaTeX > LaTeX
>
> and
>
>> bibtex "${bfname}".gls
>
> (which is the same as "file name.gls").
>
> To help you find a solution: the engine should be doing the job the
> same way you would do it by hand. If an intermediate step is to run
> the BibDesk application, instead of bibtex, then the right
> statement in the engine file should be something like
>
> 	open -a BibDesk <a file name>
>
> The problem left here is whether the script stops and waits that
> BibDesk quits – or whether it just finishes by twice invoking latex.
>
> What are the actual commands/actions?

During the process of creating the glossar nothing is done with
BibDesk. BD is just used for building up the file bib file for the
glossar.
After I inserted the appropriate word and descriptions I only press
command+s. Afterwards I move over to the Latex-file and typeset it in
the following steps:
(1) pdflatex
(2) Glossar engine with:
     ----
      #!/bin/sh
      bfname=$(dirname "$1")/"`basename "$1" .tex`"
      bibtex "${bfname}".gls
     ----
(3) pdflatex
(4) pdflatex

Now I have my glossar.
What I want is "just" the combination of these runs within one engine.

Christian