[OS X TeX] List of Maps or Plates?

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sun Jan 28 12:57:25 EST 2007

At 9:11 AM -0800 1/28/07, David B. Thompson wrote:
>I have a need to create a set of maps or plates (plates) for including in a
>technical report. These will be oversize pages most likely included in
>either fold-out or pocket form at the back of the report. I want to refer to
>them in the text and have LaTeX produce a List of Plates (Maps, whatever
>they're called) as part of the frontmatter.
>
>I've spent some time browsing the 'net, the archives, and CTAN, but haven't
>found what I'm looking for. Can someone give me a pointer please?

Use the float package or memoir class.  Both allow arbitrary new
floats to be defined.

Here's an example with float

Alan

\documentclass{report}
\usepackage{float}
\newfloat{Map}{tbp}{mpp}[chapter]
\begin{document}
\listof{Map}{List of Maps}
\listof{figure}{List of Figures}
\chapter{}
\begin{figure}[htbp]
\begin{center}
\Huge A figure
\caption{A figure}
\label{fig1}
\end{center}
\end{figure}
\begin{Map}[htbp]
\begin{center}
\Huge A map
\caption{A map}
\label{map1}
\end{center}
\end{Map}
\end{document}

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491