[OS X TeX] Changing texdoc behaviour

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sun Jan 28 22:36:24 EST 2007

At 10:26 PM -0500 1/28/07, Alan Munn wrote:
>At 10:00 PM -0500 1/28/07, Alan Munn wrote:

>>>This is what I use in my .bash_profile (sorry, I don't know how to
>>>configure it for the csh), thanks to Martin Costabel a few years
>>>ago:
>>>
>>>export TEXDOCVIEW_dvi="open -a /Applications/TeXShop.app %s"
>>>export TEXDOCVIEW_html="open -a /Applications/Safari.app %s"
>>>export TEXDOCVIEW_ps="open -a /Applications/TeXShop.app %s"
>>>
>>>I think the key is TEXDOCVIEW, instead of TEXDOC.
>>
>>Thanks Axel. It would helped if I actually had typed what the man
>>page said (as you did!).
>>
>>So this answers the last part of my question.  Now, how would I go
>>about getting Preview to open DVI files.  I assume this involves
>>some magic with dvipdf, but I assume that I would need to create
>>the file in a temporary directory and then open it.
>
>Replying to my own message, here's my tentative solution, but I'd
>like any comments on problems it may cause me.
>
>I created the following shell script called previewdvi which is then
>called using the TEXDOCVIEW environment variable
>
>#!/bin/sh
>FileName= `basename $1 .dvi`
>OutputFile= /var/tmp/$FileName.pdf
>dvipdf $FileName $OutputFile  | open -a Preview.app
>
>This seems to give the required behaviour.   Are there any obvious
>problems with doing this?

Ok, I'll stop wasting people's time reading my thinking out loud.
Sorry.  I had fooled myself into thinking this script worked, but it
doesn't.  But the idea is right, I guess.  If someone wants to bail
me out with a working script along these lines I'll be grateful.

Alan
--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491