[OS X TeX] TeXShop and Illustrator again

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Mon Jan 29 15:43:41 EST 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 29 janv. 07 à 12:20, RS a écrit :
>
>> I tried to open a pdf file created by TeXShop
>> and get the message
>>
>> ''The police LMRoman10-Italic is missing, etc.''
>>
>> I have already the folder TeX-Illustrator inside
>> /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts.
>>
>> What to do ?
>
> I suppose you mean you tried to open a PDF file created by TeXShop
> in Adobe Illustrator. Don't. That won't work, Illustrator doesn't
> recognize the encodings of the fonts embedded in TeX-produced PDF
> files.
>
> The only workaround that I know of is a utility created by Gary
> Gray. It turns the characters in the TeX-produced PDF file into
> outlines (i.e. they become drawings and are no longer recognized as
> belonging to a font), which makes Illustrator happy.
>
> I don't remember the name of the utility or where it can be
> downloaded from, but it should be possible to dig that info from
> the list archives.
>
>> Is it possible to ask TeXShop to produce eps files ?
>
> You can, but that won't solve the problem with Illustrator: you
> will experience exactly the same problem as with PDF files.

Our group (me, a colleague, our students -- not many, but more than
one) is really happy labeling files using the two utilities that we
created that turn TeX's fonts (any of them) into outlines. This makes
our labels "Illustrator proof" (I have a bunch of EPS figures from
the early 90s that I labeled using stuff generated with Textures and
then opening AI -- they no longer show up correctly in AI and when
typeset, the labels no longer show up correctly).

Here is a quick tutorial I posted in December 2006:

The general idea is that you can create the labels in a .tex file,
convert the fonts in the resulting .pdf file to Postscript outlines,
open that .ps file in AI, and then copy and post those outlines in
the AI figure file. The steps are as follows:

(1) Download the archive at:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/PDF-Processing-Apps.zip

(2) Create your figure in AI and save it as "Adobe PDF (pdf)". I will
assume it is called "test.pdf".

(3) Create the labels for your figure in a .tex file. I will assume
it is called "labels.tex".

(4) Typeset the labels.tex file using pdflatex and then drop the
resulting labels.pdf file on "TeX Font Outliner.app"

(5) After you drop the .pdf file on "TeX Font Outliner.app", the
resulting .ps file will automatically open in AI. Copy the labels
from the .ps file and place them labels in the fig you saved in part
(1), i.e., in test.pdf

(6) Move the labels into position and save test.pdf.

(7) Drop test.pdf onto "PDF Cropper.app". This will rename test.pdf
to test-AI.pdf (so that you will have your original file for later
editing) and then it will crop that file by removing all white space
and it will name the cropped file test.pdf.

That's all there is too it. I have only tested this with AI CS2,
though it should work with earlier versions with a slight
modification of the AppleScript. Both apps are universal binary.

We have labeled hundreds of figures this week over the past year or
more and it really works exceedingly well.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
   Gary