[OS X TeX] Page origin problem with TeXLive and dvips

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 05:45:04 EST 2007

Le 30 janv. 07 à 11:15, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 30.01.2007 um 10:22 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> I looked at /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config/dvips/config/
>> config.ps, but I cannot make sense of it.
>
> Do you mean the last few lines? The code checks whether the
> PostScript engine knows either the command setpageparams or the
> command setpage and applies the known procedure.

Actually what I was trying to determine was the difference between
the dvips configurations in gwTeX and TeXLive, to understand what
might have changed.

Looking at the script texconfig, which is used to define A4 as the
default paper size, I found:

# setupDvipsPaper(paper)
#   rearranges config.ps to make paper the first paper definition

which seems to indicate the first paper size in config.ps is the
default size.

Now, for gwTeX, the first paper size definition in /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.local/dvips/config/config.ps is:

@ a4 594.99bp 841.99bp
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
@+ %%BeginPaperSize: a4
@+ a4
@+ %%EndPaperSize

while, for TeX Live, the first paper size definition in /usr/local/
texlive/2007/texmf-config/dvips/config/config.ps is:

@ A4size 594.99bp 841.99bp
@+ ! %%DocumentPaperSizes: a4
@+ %%PaperSize: A4

Could this explain the observed behaviour?

But then, what can explain the difference between the two config.ps,
given the two texconfig, in gwTeX and TeXLive, are identical?

Wait: looking at the invocation of texconfig in texlive.configure,
namely the Configure script of the gwTeX i-Package, I see that the
invocation of texconfig is of the type:

	sudo texconfig-sys dvips paper a4

instead of the invocation in ReadMe.rtf from MacTeX:

	sudo texconfig-sys paper a4

And indeed running the former invocation in Terminal solves the
problem with TeX Live: things are now as they should be.

Thus it seems the instructions for setting page size in MacTeX are in
error:

- The instructions in ReadMe.rtf are erroneous.

- At install time MacTeX picks up the paper size A4size, based on the
system prefs, while the correct setting seems to be a4.

Bruno Voisin