[OS X TeX] fonts in htlatex

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 11:19:00 EDT 2007

On 6/30/07, Eitan Gurari <gurari at cse.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>  > I do also
>  > know that I get the equations properly typeset with pdflatex.
>
> The compilations into pdf are irrelevant to tex4ht.  What matters are
> compilations into dvi-->postscript.

The dvi files that are produced are perfectly fine.

>  > As to Jeffrey's comment about encodings, I have
>  > tried with both T1 and OT1, which doesn't seem to matter.
>
> With arev.sty commented out?  If so there is some tex4ht related bug
> that needs fixing.  With a little input from you it shouldn't take
> much to fix it.

I meant with arev.sty. If I don't use arev.sty, equations look fine
and come out in computer modern.

> With the presence of arev.sty?  The environment of arev.sty introduces
> some definitions for the math environment and they may confuse tex4ht.
> Such definition very likely are also fixable.  Do you get any problem
> with the following file?
>
>      \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>      \usepackage{arev}
>      \begin{document}
>      First $a$
>
>      \[b\]
>      \end{document}

Indeed the above typesets fine. I think I was not clear, though,
earlier. It's not that nothing comes out with the equations, just some
of the glyphs turn into open boxes. In my example the letters A, and G
(but not M) were open boxes as were all the numbers. So, if I change
your displayed equation line to \[ b A_1\], the b appears fine, but
not the A or the 1.

It seems like at some step htlatex cannot find the right fonts. I
called your example, with my addition of A_1, "sample2.tex" and I can
find written to stdout the following warning:

tex4ht.c (2006-09-13-14:27 kpathsea)
tex4ht dirchar
  sample2
  -i~/tex4ht.dir/texmf/tex4ht/ht-fonts/
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex4ht/base/unix/tex4ht.env)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/iso8859/1/charset/unicode.4hf)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/arev/zavmri7m.tfm)
--- warning --- Couldn't find font `zavmri7m.htf' (char codes: 0--127)

and later:

(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/arev/zavmr7t.tfm)
--- warning --- Couldn't find font `zavmr7t.htf' (char codes: 0--170)

When I do the following:

dvips -E -Ppdf -mode ibmvga -D 110 -f sample2.idv -pp 1  > zzsample2.ps

the zzsample2.ps file has the empty boxes for A and 1 problem.

Mark A