[OS X TeX] Survey about TeXShop feature use.

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Jul 3 04:28:30 EDT 2007

On 30.06.2007, at 15:28, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> As an incentive to get started on an attempt to put together a
> ``manual'' on TeXShop I'd like to conduct a little survey of the list.
>
> 1)What features of TeXShop do you use? I know we edit source files
> and compile files, I'm interested in the helpful (or not so
> helpful?) extras like Panels, Macros (text or Applescript), Command
> Completion, Auto Completion, Specialized Engines. special keyboard
> assignments (via System Preferences or other Key Binding methods)
> that you use to help you in your work. You can also include things
> like using the BibDesk InputManager for references/citations within
> TeXShop.

Things I use regularly are Command Completion and Auto Completion.

Without the BibDesk InputManager I simply couldn't work.

I rarely use AppleScripts. From time to time I dabble wiht
specialized engines, but I always give up since my needs (moderately
complex bibtex8 and xindy stuff) seems to be too much for this.

For me, TeXShop is almost perfect, the one thing I'm really missing
is collapsable text (for footnotes for example).

> 2)How long have you been using TeXShop and your experience level
> (approximate) with using TeX.

I started using LaTeX when I started my PhD thesis which was about
3.5 years ago. Although I tried different editors from time to time,
I always came back to TeXShop. Having now finished my thesis, I'd
consider myself a pretty experienced user (emphasis on 'user', I'm
not a developer but I know how to use LaTeX, managed to compile and
use xindy on several Macs, I wrote my own biblatex style, know
LaTeX's common problems and where I find help if I'm stuck).

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"Was soll aus mir mal werden, wenn ich mal nicht mehr bin?" Robert
Gernhardt