[OS X TeX] speaking of microtype

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jul 20 01:22:04 EDT 2007

Le 20 juil. 07 à 02:14, John Vokey a écrit :

> Anybody have any idea why microtype chokes on bib references with
> special chars (e.g., {\"o}) in them.  The bbl is generated by
> apacite, and everything is fine as long as microtype is not evoked.
> Here is the console error (which repeats about 5 times before
> continuing):
>
> [...]

Sounds like an incompatibility between microtype.sty and apacite.sty.
Worth reporting the author of either, possibly.

Before doing that, did you try with version 2.2 of microtype, dated
14 July 2007 and available from CTAN:

<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/microtype/>

Did you also try entering accents the "official" LaTeX way, i.e.
\"{o} etc.? I don't remember whether accents are robust or fragile in
LaTeX, and hence whether they might need to be preceded by \protect
in certain circumstances. The error message you're meeting sound
suspiciously like what's caused by the absence of \protect in these
circumstances.

Bruno Voisin