[OS X TeX] speaking of microtype

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 20 06:05:57 EDT 2007

Peter Dyballa schreef:
> Am 20.07.2007 um 07:22 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> Did you also try entering accents the "official" LaTeX way, i.e.
>> \"{o} etc.?
>
> Is it necessary to use a 7 bit encoding? Why isn't a straight ``ö´´
> allowed?

Isn't allowed is a big word. Two potential point come to mind.

- the way 8-bit characters are currently implemented is by silently
replacing them with the old 7-bit macros, at least if I understand the
various .enc files correctly. As far as the microtype / apacite clash
reported here, there is no difference.

- You want to keep your bibtex databases as portable as possible, and
therefore not rely on a specific encoding. Unless you use the same
encoding for all your documents. Of course the issue may be just such a
mismatch.

Maarten