[OS X TeX] Linotype Palatino

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 7 16:20:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Jun 7, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 07.06.2007 um 21:54 schrieb Michael Kubovy:
>
>> So is there a way to insure that my grant application will be
>> typeset in Linotype Palatino (which is one of my system fonts:
>> Palatino; 3.8; 2006-02-23)? Should I use XeLaTeX? How?
>
> Either create the right MAP file fragment and enable it and create
> also all the other necessary files, or get the real Linotype
> Palatino and use it in XeLaTeX. FontBook will tell you the right
> family name.
>
> It's easy to use a TrueType font with pdfTeX. In a MAP file
> fragment the lines could look like:
>
> 	llhr8c  LucidaBright                            <TS1-AGL.enc
> <llhr8a.ttf
> 	llhr8t  LucidaBright                            <T1-WGL4.enc
> <llhr8a.ttf

When I typeset the following with XeLaTeX, I get gobbledegook in red:

\documentclass[twocolumn,11pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\fontspec[]{Palatino} % with or w/o the brackets

\title{Brief Article}
\author{The Author}
%\date{}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Etiam
sagittis fermentum magna. Suspendisse potenti. Duis sit amet mi.
Fusce euismod turpis et turpis. Donec egestas molestie massa.
Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices
posuere cubilia Curae; Proin tempus nulla non odio pharetra feugiat.
Maecenas eget massa a ante vestibulum bibendum. Aenean consectetuer
tellus eu dui. Mauris justo. Nulla dignissim, mauris vitae faucibus
suscipit, ipsum risus semper nulla, et adipiscing quam ligula vitae
odio. Maecenas est. Nam massa libero, tempor at, accumsan vitae,
fermentum vitae, elit.

\end{document}

FontBook says:

PostScript name	Palatino-Roman
	Full name	Palatino
	Family	Palatino
	Style	Regular
	Kind	TrueType
	Language	English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Danish,
Finnish, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Swedish
	Version	3.8
	Location	/Library/Fonts/Palatino
	Unique name	Palatino; 3.8; 2006-02-23
	Copyright	Copyright © 1991-99, 2006 Apple Computer, Inc. Copyright ©
1991-92 Type Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
	Trademark	Palatino is a registered trademark of Linotype AG
	Enabled	Yes
	Duplicate	No

_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/