[OS X TeX] Structure inside ~/Library/texmf

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Fri Jun 8 07:53:41 EDT 2007

Hi,

could somebody briefly explain to me the internal structure of ~/
Library/texmf (or point me to documentation)? Do the subfolders in
there mirror the directory structure somewhere else? Does the
internal structure have to be preserved (and to which point)? Should
there be any files in there by default? What exactly happens if there
is a file (e.g., a style file) in there that also exists elsewhere
(e.g., somwhere buried in \usr)?

The reason why I am asking is that I want to tidy up the contents of
my ~/Library/texmf folder because I would like to provide its
contents (e.g., some template files) to other members in my group
(including some TeX newbies) as a starting point. I have not taken a
look at it in years, and I do not know which files I put there at
some point in the past - with a few exceptions of template and
shortcut files that I use all the time. There are currently a number
of different style an bibtex style files (e.g., Bookman.sty etc., but
also pdfsync.sty). My guess is that whatever is in there will at
least be horribly out of date ...

Sorry for that probably profane qustion and thank you all for your help.
Holger

__
Dr. Holger Frauenrath
ETH Zurich