[OS X TeX] Unexpected quotation marks

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Sun Jun 10 08:48:41 EDT 2007

On Jun 10, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 10 juin 07 à 12:28, Michael Kubovy a écrit :
>
>> On Jun 9, 2007, at 7:53 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>
>>> (1) Go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/XeTeX/, and move
>>> XeTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine and XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx.engine to ~/Library/
>>> TeXShop/Engines/.
>>
>> When I download the latest version of TeXShop (http://
>> www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.dmg), I see no new engines.
>
> That's because you possibly need to move away your current folder ~/
> Library/TeXShop before launching the latest TeXShop the first time.
> In that case, a new folder ~/Library/TeXShop will be recrated
> automatically, containing the updated Engines/ folder. Then merge
> back your personal additions (if any) from the former ~/Library/
> TeXShop to the newly created one.
>
> I suspect that TeXShop, upon first launch, checks whether ~/Library/
> TeXShop exists already, and if so leaves it alone.
>
> But you can use Ctrl-Click (or Right-Click with a Mighty Mouse) to
> verify that the folder Engines/Inactive/XeTeX is indeed there
> inside the TeXShop application, at TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/
> TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/XeTeX. It is this pre-built TeXShop folder
> that is copied to ~/Library/TeXShop upon first launch of the
> TeXShop application (again, unless ~/Library/TeXShop exists already).

Thanks. That solved this problem: all the engines are there. However
here the math face is still different from the text (regardless if I
use the two commented lines or the three uncommented):

%%!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX-xdvipdfmx
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass[twocolumn,11pt]{article}
%\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc} # from BV
%\usepackage{mathpazo} # from BV
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} # from BV
\usepackage{textcomp} # from BV
\usepackage{mathpazo} # from BV

\usepackage[cm-default]{fontspec}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont{Palatino}

\title{Article}
\author{Author}
\date{}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

Text:

\textit{p}(\textbf{a})/\textit{p}(\textbf{b}) = log{1234567890}

Math:
\[\frac{p(\mathbf{a})}{p(\mathbf{b})} = \log{1234567890}\]

\end{document}

***********************
Two other problems are lurking:
(1) an incompatibility between XeLaTeX and tikz
(2) the desire to use xelatexmk
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/