[OS X TeX] [ANN] Excalibur 4.0.4

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Thu Jun 14 19:52:45 EDT 2007

On Jun 14, 2007, at 2007-06-14  Thu3:56 PM, Nestor Aguilera wrote:

> On 11 Jun, 2007, at 15:15, George Gratzer wrote:
>
>> Rick,
>>
>> You asked me a long time ago to demo the Excalibur bug.
>> Unfortunately, the file is 40,000+ lines long, it takes a long
>> time to bisect it to a small size.
>>
>> But this is important for me because Excalibur has been an
>> important part of my LaTeX setup. So finally, here it is:
>>
>> \documentclass{book}
>> \begin{document}
>> \indent To illustrate the first trap, type the last two lines of
>> the previous example as follows:\\[8pt]
>> \verb*| \end{verbatim}|\\
>> \verb|Please make the necessary corrections.|\\[8pt]
>> Then you find an unintended blank line before the last line.
>> \end{document}
>>
>> GG
>
> No one seems to have picked up the glove, so here I go (since I use
> Excalibur quite extensively): your sample works OK if you set not
> to use "LaTeX -> Warn on parsing errors" (in the preference pane),
> but if the setting is on, Excalibur stops with the message
> "Excalibur stopped processing on line 7 because of a LaTeX error.
> Extra } or \end", and after a while it takes quite a bit of cpu
> (doing what?).
>
> So indeed there is something similar to a bug, but you can avoid it
> by changing the "Warn on parsing errors" setting. I am not sure on
> how useful this setting is (if the file has compiled correctly, why
> bother?)
>
> All the best,
>
>                                                  Nestor

George's problem is due to a bug in Excalibur's parsing of \verb*.  A
related problem causes Excalibur to occasionally have problems with
other starred commands.  I have a fix for these problems which I will
be making available soon.  I'm on vacation right now so things are
proceeding a bit slowly :-)  It will probably happen next week.

There was an earlier discussion about spaces in labels.  Excalibur
*does* allow this.

If there are any remaining issues, please let me know.

Rick