[OS X TeX] line break in \caption

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sat Jun 30 19:19:04 EDT 2007

At 5:55 PM -0400 6/30/07, Arthur Snoke wrote:
>Is there a wayh to force a newline within \caption?  Things like \\
>or a blank line do not work.  I want to have something like
>
>\caption{\textbf{Upper panels:}

>\textbf{Lower panels:}
>

>     .... }
>
>So that Upper and Lower are left justified.

It's not totally clear what your \dots mean, but you can put
(\protect)-ed linebreaks into captions using the caption package.
But It looks like you want something different, from simply a
linebreak, namely parts of captions that appear with different parts
of a figure.  Perhaps the subfig package is what you need.  But
here's a simple example of a left justified caption using the caption
package, although I'm not sure it's actually what you want. -Alan

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[format=plain,
justification=raggedright,singlelinecheck=false]{caption}
\begin{document}
\begin{figure}
\caption{This is the caption \protect\\ This is the second line}
\rule{3cm}{3cm}
\end{figure}
\end{document}
--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491