[OS X TeX] Re: OT: Tool for Comparing PDF files ?

Bill Rowe readlists at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 1 23:18:49 EST 2007

On 3/1/07 at 4:34 PM, osxtex_2 at st.estfiles.de (Steffen Wolfrum)
wrote:

>Does someone know a tool for comparing PDF documents?

>Now and then I make small changes in the source files and would feel
>saver if I'd had a tool that would show me when a resulting PDF has
>/ has not differences (to a PDF that was made before I made the
>changes) …

If all you need is to show two files are different but do not
need to determine the precise difference, then computing a md5
hash of both files would suffice. On Mac OS X (and I would
assume other unix based systems) these is easily done via the
terminal. Type man md5 in a terminal session for the help file.

If like many on OS X you prefer not to use the terminal, there
are a variety of third party utilities that achieve the same
result. I've found File Buddy (not free) to be very effective
for this purpose.